Description

This blog is produced by Brynne Jewell to share her own experiences with Tourette Syndrome and to also provide a place for others with questions or comments to mingle.

April 18, 2013

Neighboring Disorders

     So last week I talked about some of the common concerns people who have TS deal with. This week I'm going to talk on a few co-morbid disorders. What exactly does that mean, you ask? Sounds kind of bad, doesn't it? According to Merriam Webster's Dictionary co-morbid means: existing simultaneously with and usually independently of another medical condition. Not so bad right? Yes and no. 
    Personally, I have experienced two of these. Sometimes they're in the back seat and others on the passenger side. I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) at the same time I was diagnosed with Tourette's. OCD is defined as: a psychoneurotic disorder in which the person experiences reoccurring thoughts in the form of obsessions or compulsions or both and suffers anxiety or depression through failure to think the obsessive thoughts or perform the compelling acts. The good thing is it's not always as serious as all that. Cases vary from mild to severe. Most of my growing up years it's been in the back of my mind, kind of minding its own business.  The main part of my life OCD has affected is scheduling. For the most part, I lead a very scheduled life and I can get easily thrown off track if the schedule drastically changes. I've successfully attempted behavioral modifications techniques to "loosen up" on scheduling. For example, if I plan on having lunch at noon, but, because of outside intervention, I cannot leave until 12:30. I have to adapt to that by having the prepared thought or "plan of action" allowing myself a window of time before and after the proposed time. 
    The second thing I deal with is Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) - an anxiety disorder marked by excessive anxiety and worry. In other words, I'm a little high strung. lol This is something that is exacerbated or made worse by my OCD and vice versa. However, it doesn't rule my life and again, it ranges from mild to severe in different people.
    Both of these can sometimes affect my TS. The OCD can cause the tics to be more repetitive and the anxiety can sometimes cause me to over-worry.  As I have mentioned before, I am blessed with a great support system and good health care. It also helps to have God on my side. Heaven knows without all of these things my life would be very different.  Now, I am a soon to be a college graduate!

No comments:

Post a Comment