Description

This blog is produced by Brynne Jewell to share her own experiences with Tourette Syndrome and to also provide a place for others with questions or comments to mingle.

April 10, 2013

Common Concerns

    Happy Spring all! I've had the flu for the past couple days, but on the bright side, that gives me ample time for reading and such. So, I'm a member of this group on Facebook for high school and college students with TS. Someone posted a picture from Instagram naming various Tourettes Issues. I want to comment on these because they're some of the most common ones.
# 4: When people think you're rolling their eyes (or sticking your tongue out) at them.
    Okay, rolling your eyes isn't such a big deal, although it can get you into trouble. I've told a few teachers that just because they see me doing that doesn't mean I'm disrespecting them. However, sometimes this one can be so bad that I'm afraid I'll look like a weirdo if anyone sees me doing it. So I put my head down or turn away to express it. The second one can be down right embarrassing. Haha just talking about it makes me do it. I was in class the other day and had it and we weren't in a regular set-up. It was more like a round table. Awkward...
#6: To me, this one is kind of funny. It's interesting to watch the different reactions. Some people are surprised and curious; others get this abashed look on their face. Either way the shoe is on the other foot.
#13: I am convinced that Obsessive Compulsive Disorder just has to be tag-along to TS. (Note: International OCD Foundation info can be found in the link on the right.)
#15: Wondering if your future kids will have Tourette's. (50% chance of heredity)
To me, you have to have the mindset that they might and take confidence in knowing that you are the best person to help them through it. Also, no matter who you are, every family has something and there's always that chance that it might get passed on. One cannot let fear be the ruling factor.
#16: In my blog, Blanket Hug, about the weighted blanket I talk about bad tics being a hindrance to sleep. This is common because, not just people with TS, but people with nervous system disorders often have trouble winding down. One thing to remember is: you are never too old to have a bedtime ritual. 3-4 hours before bed I dim the lights to start melatonin production (that hormone that makes you sleep) and anywhere from a half hour to an hour before bed I will read instead of watching TV because the lights from a screen of any sort can stimulate the brain.
#3: Wishing TS had an off button.
When my tics are really bad or they come on during something important, for instance: driving, an interview, carrying liquids, etc. I definitely wish there was an "Off button" during those times.
    Even though, these things can be a hindrance, I wouldn't change who I am and it feels good to be able to find the humor in some things.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment