Description

This blog is produced by Brynne Jewell to share her own experiences with Tourette Syndrome and to also provide a place for others with questions or comments to mingle.

April 02, 2013

My Little Blessing

    Service dogs have long been a part of our society. Some serve in our protective units such as firefighting and police work. Others serve as guides and/or companions for people with many different disorders or disabilities. There have been dogs in my house all through my growing up years. They've always been a big part of my life, but I had never found one that I really bonded with until 2011. I had been wanting a dog of my own for some time. One that I had used my own earnings to get and one that I could train and bring up myself.
    In the past I had either been too young and/or too immature to take on such a task, but one day I found myself at a local pet store. I had decided that I wanted a dachshund. We already had a pack of four canines at home, so getting another pet sounded a little daunting. I had found out they had a mini, smooth-coat dachshund there and went to check her out. She was only ten weeks old and had one brown eye and one blue eye. I always admired that in a dog. I was petting her and a loud sound scared her and she ran and hid under the bench. I called her back out and despite being scared, she came to me. I was hooked and I knew she was mine.
    So, against some of my better judgment I took her home. That was back in July of 2011. My dog, Princess, is one of the best things to happen to me. She comforts me when I'm sad, sick, or having a bad tic day. Any time I'm feeling lonely, I can cuddle her and she doesn't mind. She's the sweetest thing, has even learned to smile, and is always so happy to see me when I get home. She puts her face up against mine whenever she wants love or knows I need some. She may not be a certified therapy/service dog, but if she was, I couldn't ask for a better one.

1 comment:

  1. Dogs are such a comfort to have around. My little Bella always perks up when she hears my voice get excited and she wants to know why my pitch has escalated, or when I am sad, she comes over and gives me a kiss.

    ReplyDelete