Description

This blog is produced by Brynne Jewell to share her own experiences with Tourette Syndrome and to also provide a place for others with questions or comments to mingle.

February 14, 2013

Intro

Hey Everyone!
    Welcome to Tourettisms -Observations from an Irish Princess. For those of you who don't know my middle name is Erin, which means Princess of the Isles, hence the name for this blog. I will be posting as least once a week, hopefully more once this takes off. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
    My first topic is about a Tourette Syndrome (TS) Awareness Campaign I'm doing in the Ohio Valley. I am taking the message to a number of audiences, because I feel that it is important that we get the word out there about what TS really is and how to deal with it. Back in March of 2012 my dad and I went to the National Tourette Syndrome Association (TSA) conference in Arlington, VA. I encountered others with TS and many supporters. It was a great experience and I can't wait to go back in 2014.
    Have a blessed day!
   

1 comment:

  1. Dear Brynne,

    I apologize in advance for leaving such a lengthy comment, but I could not locate your personal contact information.

    Living with a disability is challenging, especially one as misunderstood and publically visible as Tourette’s. In her new fresh, funny and uplifting memoir WELCOME TO BISCUIT LAND: A Year in the Life of Touretteshero, foreword by comedian Steven Fry, Jessica Thom offers a rare, first-person glimpse into Tourette’s Syndrome.

    Squawking on the bus, shouting the world “biscuit” up to 16 times per minute, which is about 16,000 times per day, punching herself in the chest, and trying to soothe the subsequent public responses to her condition is Jess’s everyday reality. A diary-like memoir, WELCOME TO BISCUIT LAND presents short excerpts during the course of a year as Jess navigates a world made complex by her uncontrollable verbal and physical tics.

    In spite of her syndrome, Jess chooses to see herself as a Tourette’s hero, “changing the world one tic at a time.” In 2010, she set up Touretteshero, a community-based web site that seeks to challenge society’s misconceptions while promoting the humor and creativity of the syndrome.

    Jessica Thom is truly a unique and inspiring individual. If you’d be interested in a copy of WELCOME TO BISCUIT LAND for possible review or in speaking to Thom for a profile piece, please feel free to contact me at sfrech@ipgbook.com. Check out more about the book here. I look forward to hearing from you.

    Shannon Frech
    Independent Publishers Group
    814 N. Franklin St.
    Chicago, IL 60610
    sfrech@ipgbook.com
    www.ipgbook.com

    ReplyDelete