Description

This blog is produced by Brynne Jewell to share her own experiences with Tourette Syndrome and to also provide a place for others with questions or comments to mingle.

May 13, 2016

Make Yourself At Home

    When we get visitors, one of the polite things we say to welcome them is, "Please, make yourself at home." It's a sweet, simple gesture that conveys to the guest that you are happy to have them in your home (your private space) and want them to feel comfortable. Although, having tics and experiencing them is the norm for us, a lot of times we still have to get used to them. We don't get to pick and choose which tics we do and don't get; or for how long we'll have to endure them
    I've encountered those who are uncomfortable with or irritated by my tics even after explanation. I suppose they deserve some credit for trying to hide their vexation. However, due to having a nervous system that's always in hyper drive and being a student of human nature anyway, I'm hardly oblivious to most people's feelings. Generally speaking, I am able to obtain a certain amount of objectivity in this area.
    Despite having heard about it all my life, for the first time in 26 years I developed a throat clearing tic. At first I found it embarrassing. I was not used to this sound coming out of my throat outside of the normal reasons for it. Now it was presenting numerous times a minute, often several times in a row. In addition to this, my throat was getting sore from doing it so often. I sometimes (notice the use of present tense) worry that people will think I've got some sort of bug and will make them sick too with all my throat clearing.
    Bearing all this in mind, everyone is susceptible to be startled by the unknown and I'm not faulting anyone for this, as I have experienced this phenomenon myself. I just have the advantage of being exposed to "the unknown" more than most and am therefore less phased by it. My point in sharing all this with you is not only to encourage you to explore and ask questions, but to  help you better understand not just people with Tourette's, but anyone who deals with a "startling" disability. As alien, unsettling, embarrassing, and/or painful it may be to someone watching on the outside, think how much more difficult it is for someone battling it on the inside. A little compassion and understanding can go a long way.

2 comments:

  1. I’m following up on the message I sent you regarding the T-Forward and T-Force Green Studies, which are currently enrolling patients living with Tourette syndrome. We want to provide patients with information about this study opportunity as well as spread the word for Tourette syndrome.

    I hope you will consider sharing this information with your audience. If you have any questions at all, feel free to contact me at pmeckler@gopraxis.com.

    Thanks!
    Paige

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Brynne,
    I wanted to follow up one last time on the email I sent you regarding the T-Forward and T-Force Green Studies, which are currently enrolling patients living with Tourette syndrome. We want to provide patients with information about this study opportunity as well as spread the word for Tourette syndrome.
    We can provide pre-written social media posts and shareable infographics about Tourette syndrome upon request. Thank you in advance for your support, and if you have any questions at all, feel free to contact me at pmeckler@gopraxis.com.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete